"This cake will fill your kitchen with a wonderful smell that will draw the family together. It makes a great brunch or social function dish too!"
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white or brown sugar (for topping)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch round pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream, mixing just until incorporated. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Mix together 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle half of mixture over batter in the pan. Cover with remaining batter, then top with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
I don’t have nuts in this recipe because I’m allergic to most kinds of nuts but you can add chopped nuts into both the topping and the cake and I hear it's great!