- 6 tablespoons butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup stewed, pureed apples
- 3/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 recipe for pie crust
- 2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (or to taste)
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Squeeze lemon and remove seeds.
- Add lemon to stewed apples, sherry, cream, and sugar and mix well.
- Add melted butter to mixture, blending well.
- Beat eggs and add to mixture.
- Prepare pastry and line deep, 8-inch pie plate.
- Season with grated nutmeg and spoon mixture into prepared pie plate.
- Bake 15 minutes at 400°F. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 45 minutes more or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before serving.
For those of you interested in the historical cooking version:
Take 12 spoons of stewed apples, 12 of wine, 12 of sugar, 12 of melted butter, and 12 of beaten eggs, a little cream, spice to your taste; lay in paste No. 3, in a deep dish; bake one hour and a quarter.
1. Using a redware bowl over hot coals, melt the butter and set aside to cool.
2. Follow Steps 2-7 in the Modern Method recipe.
3. Bake 1 hour in hot bake-oven, or preheated Dutch oven, with coals on lid and below.