I found this on the back of Mom’s banana bread recipe. I haven’t tried it yet but it sounds good.
1 cup ground or grated fresh apples
2 cups flour
½ cup shortening
1 tsp baking soda
¼ cup chopped nuts
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla
1 ½ tsp sour milk (buttermilk)
1. Cream shortening and sugar then add beaten eggs. Stir in apples.
2. Sift and measure flour and sift again with soda and salt.
3. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Add sour milk and vanilla.
4. Dust nut meat lightly with flour then fold into bread mix.
5. Bake at 350° for approximately 1 hour in greased baking pan. For additional sweetness, sprinkle loaf with 3 tsp sugar mixed with ½ tsp cinnamon before baking.