Hermits are a traditional molasses cookie found here in New England. They get better with age just like gingersnap cookies only these are larger and have more chew.
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Crisco
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3 Cups Sifted Flour
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 Cup Raisins, soaked to soften
- 1 Egg, room temperature
- Cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy
- Add molasses and milk.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, spices and salt together with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to shortening mixture
- Add egg and raisins.
- Spread on parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees
- Cut into squares and serve
- Mix milk and powdered sugar then drizzle over the tops of the hermits.
- Let bars sit until the glaze has dried and become hard.